by Laura Dawson
Bowker | Fri May 3, 2013
Writing is a lonely job. Publishing doesn't have to be. As more authors are taking publishing into their own hands, associations and communities (including online forums) are forming to help them.
- Absolute Write Forums - a "water cooler" where writers can gather to discuss topics related to writing and publishing.
- American Society for Journalists and Authors - for independent nonfiction authors.
- Association of Independent Authors - advocacy and information for self-published authors in five continents.
- Authors Guild - a society for authors, concerned with rights, contract negotiation, and other legal issues.
- IBPA - offers advocacy, support, guidance, and services to independent publishers of all sizes.
- National Writers Union - the only labor union representing freelance writers, regardless of format or media.
- PEN - an international association of writers, consulting to UNESCO.
- SPAN - a trade association for authors and independent publishers.
- Writers Digest Forums - discussions, critiques, Q&A.